Guile Hoot v0.2.0 released!

From: Thompson, David
Subject: Guile Hoot v0.2.0 released!
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 15:08:17 -0500

Hey Guilers!

On behalf of the Spritely Institute, I'm happy to announce that Guile
Hoot v0.2.0 has been released! Hoot is a Scheme to WebAssembly
compiler backend for Guile, which means you can now run Scheme in the
browser for real, tail calls and all.

The highlights of this release are:

* Nearly all of R7RS-small is now implemented! Hoot 0.2.0 is now
capable of running many more standard Scheme programs than 0.1.0.

* A foreign function interface (FFI) has been added to make it easy to
declare imported host functions and call them from Scheme.

* User-defined record types, sorely missing from 0.1.0, have been added.

Read the full release notes here:
https://spritely.institute/news/guile-hoot-v020-released.html

If you use Guix then it's easy to try out Hoot:

    guix pull
    guix shell guile-next guile-hoot

But wait, there's more! I've been busy writing up a tutorial for using
Hoot to make React-like web pages, and that is also available now:

https://spritely.institute/news/building-interactive-web-pages-with-guile-hoot.html

If you're curious what it looks like to integrate Scheme with
JavaScript browser APIs then definitely check out that post.

Okay, that's all for now.  Happy hooting!

- Dave