[ANN] Guile Hoot 0.4.0 released!

From: Thompson, David
Subject: [ANN] Guile Hoot 0.4.0 released!
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 10:12:46 -0400

Hey Guilers!

On behalf of the Spritely Institute, I'm happy to announce that Guile
Hoot v0.4.0 has been released! Hoot is a Scheme to WebAssembly
compiler backend for Guile, which means you can now run Scheme in the
browser for real, tail calls and all.

The highlights of this release are:

* Hoot now supports user-defined modules.  Users no longer have to
  stuff their entire program into one file!

* The standard library is now available as a collection of importable
  modules.  Hoot provides the R7RS (scheme ...) namespace, as well as
  its own (hoot ...) namespace.

* An example project was added to the source tree in Git to serve as
  an easy starting point for new Hoot projects.  This example project
  also ships with our official release tarballs.  See the template's
  README [0] for more information.

* More of R7RS-small has been implemented and Hoot can now run 54 out
  of 57 Scheme benchmarks! [1] (Note that this data is currently just
  from my machine.  The official benchmark server will need to be
  capable of running NodeJS 22+, or another V8 distro, before Hoot
  results could be published there.)

Read the full release notes here:

https://spritely.institute/news/guile-hoot-v040-released.html

If you use Guix then it's easy to try out Hoot:

    guix pull
    guix shell guile-next guile-hoot

Happy hooting!

- Dave