Advice on ST-Object data-structure setup

From: ken . dickey
Subject: Advice on ST-Object data-structure setup
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 14:14:03 -0700

Greetings,

I am looking at porting a toy Smalltalk-in-Scheme implementation to Guile.

[Note https://github.com/KenDickey/Crosstalk ].

The idea is for simplicity first, then making into a module and potentially evolving Smalltalk into a supported, compiled ",language" in the Guile way.

The first bit of business is to get the mechanics working. For this I need to have an St-Object which is basically a Vector but which answers #false to vector? and #true to st-object?

[Note https://github.com/KenDickey/Crosstalk/blob/master/st-kernel.scm ]

I note that one might change the T7 type-tag from 0x0d (vector) to 0x6d (currently unused) with a quick bitwise-or, but would like some advice on the best way to do this or some alternate. I would prefer to work in Scheme, not C, BTW.

Any hints appreciated.

Thanks much,
-KenD