Re: GNU G-Golf 0.8.0-rc-3 available for testing

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: GNU G-Golf 0.8.0-rc-3 available for testing
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2024 19:51:34 +0200

Hello again, one more message on the current status of G-Golf on
GNU Guix, which has two real issues:

To develop with G-golf and GTK as in G-Golf’
examples/adw-1/hello-world.scm or examples/gtk-4/hello-world.scm, the
Guix commands must (at the time of writing) be used with the
“--no-grafts” option, because G-Golf first when loading runs
g_typelib_symbol on GdkPixbuf functions from Guix’ normal gdk-pixbuf
package, but later when it presents the GTK window, GTK tries to load
GdkPixbuf functions from a mostly identical replacement gdk-pixbuf
package without debug symbols installed at another /gnu/store path.
This has, I strongly believe, the same cause as Guix bug#48907 that
debug symbols are missing, [1] and a proper, permanent fix would take
time, I think, because reverting the disk space-saving commit that
caused it is a bad option and reimplementing the commit properly
should be done, I think, in guix-daemon, which is thorny.

If a G-Golf using GTK app were to be packaged for Guix, the package
would have to use tricks to reference GTK’s gdk-pixbuf package and not
normal gdk-pixbuf.  (Guix only has one G-Golf app packaged currently,
the nomad web browser, which is broken in current Guix.)

The second issue is the vfuncs when running
examples/gtk-4/drawing-widget.scm.  This segfaults at
gtk_widget_snapshot_child when run.  Similarly
examples/gtk-4/peg-solitaire.scm segfaults at
gtk_image_set_from_paintable called from g_callable_info_invoke.  It
segfaults at least with guile and guile-next Guile versions 3.0.9 and
3.0.9-0.db7efa5.  I do not understand the cause or the vfunc
implementation in G-Golf’s g-golf/hl-api/vfunc.scm file.  I will try
to compare it with Vala-generated C code and try to make it fail
similarly.

examples/gtk-4/simple-paintable.scm fails at (add-to-load-path (dirname
(current-filename)).  I have not yet spent time to debug this one
further.

David Pirotte <david@altosw.be> writes:
> The adw-1 examples should work as well, both the hello-world.scm and the
> adw1-demo.scm

I have not run adw1-demo.scm successfully, because the modules it needs
are not in the load path.  I guess this is the same small issue.

Regards,
Florian

[1] Guix bug https://issues.guix.gnu.org/48907