Re: GNU G-Golf 0.8.0-rc-3 available for testing

From: David Pirotte
Subject: Re: GNU G-Golf 0.8.0-rc-3 available for testing
Date: Tue, 7 May 2024 20:53:08 -0300

Hi Florian,

> Thank you for the python code.  This works unlike g-golf in Guix.

Ok, expected, but I wanted to double check - Not an excuse ofc,
but pygobjec is mostly written in C, including their callback and
gclosure marshal(ers), so when they need to either replace or access
such VFunc pointer (or place a call upon them), they can (re)use quite
a lot of the upstream code.

G-Golf is 100% guile scheme code (nearly, a few C function exceptions,
but unrelated to this part of what we are dealing with), including both
the Callback and GClosure marshal(ers) - quite a diff context ... but i
wanted to make sure ...

> I am puzzled by g-golf’s random code clobbering in Guix; gdb watch in
> reverse debugging did not work when the scope of klass->snapshot was
> left.

Very annoying indeed - eventually we'll track and fix this ...

> Since I do not speak nor like mutation-heavy python but hope to use
> g-golf, I will set up a Debian VM for now and look at each g-golf
> file slowly step by step.

Ok - But as time allows, we should still try to (fix this bug and) run
all other examples in guix, except the peg-solitaire, and the
animation based examples, they should all run  - i am especially
interested to see if the adw1-demo works fine ...

> Before, I have tried to verify the signature, but it fails

I didn't sign the attachment -

> and I also cannot compare with signatures in the g-golf repo, because

Right, I sign the tags, and the tarballs -

Cheers,
David