guix-devel

Re: Guix beyond 1.0: let’s have a roadmap!

From: swedebugia
Subject: Re: Guix beyond 1.0: let’s have a roadmap!
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2019 00:33:12 +0200

On 2019-06-27 21:02, Alex Griffin wrote:
On Thu, Jun 27, 2019, at 4:31 PM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
What do *you* want Guix to address in the future?

* Guix System

** TODO add firewall-service to provide a configurable stateful firewall
suitable for most desktops and servers

+1

*** TODO add service-extensions to existing services so that firewall-service
can be added to %base-services without unnecessary breakage

** TODO use guile-bash to automatically update environment variables when the
current profile changes

** TODO support more partitioning and bootloader configurations (full disk
encryption without entering password twice, LVM support, os-prober, etc.)
*** TODO support secured boot from Heads/PureBoot
(https://docs.puri.sm/PureBoot.html)

** TODO easier loading of out-of-tree kernel modules

** TODO run-time configuration system for services, similar to OpenWrt's UCI

* Command Line Interface

** TODO refresh able to take a contributor name and find out-of-date packages
that they have contributed to

** TODO improved search: support AND terms instead of OR, configurable recfmt
template

** TODO package --show should allow multiple arguments and not require an equal
sign

+1

* Other

** TODO evaluate shepherd service definitions placed somewhere in
~/.guix-profile before evaluating ~/.config/shepherd/init.scm

** TODO support automatic GPG/signify signature verification of origin objects

** TODO better Node.js packaging and tooling

This seem to have gotten stuck. But I heard something about a guile-semver and also we need to handle circular dependencies better in guix to make it easier to discover and mitigate them.

Compared to the whole expat/JS community Guix is still a very small project. The bootstrap problems will probably take years to complete with the current pace/manpower/interest.

Maybe we should propose The GNU Project to create and seek funding for a "fix JS (bootstrap)" campaign? Compilers will need to be written according to Julien (like rustc).

*** TODO package important Icecat and Ungoogled-Chromium extensions. This is a
pain point because IceCat steers users away from Firefox Add-ons and
Ungoogled-Chromium completely disallows installing from Chrome Web Store.

Actually currently our Chrome does not support add-ons at all. See bug #35709

--
Cheers Swedebugia