guix-devel

Re: Rust packaging coordination

From: Andreas Rottmann
Subject: Re: Rust packaging coordination
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2020 17:05:07 +0100

John Soo <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi rust packagers,
>
> We have: ripgrep, tokei, cbindgen.
>
> [ ... exa and alacritty ]
>
> I also have: racer, rustfmt, fd and pijul.
>
> What should we do next?

I have started packaging i3status-rust[1]. This is motivated primarily
by scratching my own itch, and to become more familiar with Guix
packaging. I'm still in the process of import-ing the required
dependencies; some notes so far:

- The dependency tree includes a portion of Rusts async universe not yet
  packaged, `rust-futures-0.3` and `rust-tokio-0.2`. Preview versions of
  the latter are already packaged -- there should probably be an effort
  to update their reverse dependencies and switch to the "release"
  versions of those.

- It includes bindings for libpulse (`rust-libpulse-bindings`),
  inotify (`rust-inotify`), and libdbus (`rust-dbus`).

- I've encountered two crates with a not-already-defined license,
  namely "0BSD" (`maildir` and `mailparse`). I've "faked" it for now with:

  (define license:bsd-0
    (license:fsf-free "https://spdx.org/licenses/0BSD.html";
                      "BSD Zero Clause License"))

The so-far accumulated list of crates from crates.io is:

rust-assert-matches-1.3
rust-chrono-tz-0.5
rust-cpuprofiler
rust-dbus
rust-futures-0.3
rust-futures-channel-0.3
rust-futures-core-0.3
rust-futures-executor-0.3
rust-futures-io-0.3
rust-futures-macro-0.3
rust-futures-sink-0.3
rust-futures-task-0.3
rust-futures-util-0.3
rust-i3ipc
rust-inotify-0.8
rust-inotify-sys-0.1
rust-libdbus-sys
rust-libpulse-binding-2
rust-libpulse-sys-1
rust-maildir-0.3
rust-mailparse-0.10
rust-notmuch-0.6
rust-parse-zoneinfo
rust-progress-0.2
rust-supercow-0.1
rust-tokio-0.2

If someone wants to tackle any of these, don't hold off; I don't know
how long I'll take until I actually can build `i3status-rust`. Once I
get to that point, I know that my package definitions are not totally
broken, and will try to turn them into patches.

[1]: https://github.com/greshake/i3status-rust