guix-devel

Re: Guix Data Services: whishlist about SWH

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Re: Guix Data Services: whishlist about SWH
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2020 09:00:35 +0000

zimoun <address@hidden> writes:

> Recently, the source of package was missing and so "guix time-machine"
> was broken [1]. It is not the first time that it appears [2]; patches
> are coming... :-)
>
> Using the Software Heritage (SWH) API [3], does it seems a good idea
> to add SWH coverage somewhere in the Guix Data Services?
>
> I do not remember where the Reproducibility chart is located, but a
> chart there could be added, telling how many packages are already
> archived in SWH and how many not yet.
>
> And for example, on the webpage about the history of the package [4],
> some information about SWH could be added.
>
> What do you think?

I think that would be good data to have in the Guix Data Service.

I'm not sure quite how this data would fit in, I guess it would be
similar to the data for nar files, but more limited to fixed output
derivations.

I think the first step towards this would be to experiment with fetching
data from the Software Heritage API. Do you know how you'd fetch data
about the output from a fixed output derivation (like harfbuzz)?

http://data.guix.gnu.org/gnu/store/53mfydv96wfwg2fxjyyml44v7v2y84z3-harfbuzz-2.5.3.tar.xz