guix-devel

Change free space warning threshold from relative to absolute

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Change free space warning threshold from relative to absolute
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 10:29:25 +0100

Hi!

Currently we display

guix package: warning: only 4.9% of free space available on /gnu/store
hint: Consider deleting old profile generations and collecting garbage, along
these lines:

     guix gc --delete-generations=1m

when the drive has less than 5% free space.

I believe the 5% threshold to be not so relevant.  Indeed, on a 1 TiB
partition, 5% is 50 GiB.  I would not worry to much about deleting
generations then!

What about changing the threshold to 5 GiB?

By the way, this reminds me of the same Windows XP misfeature that bugged
millions of users for years :D

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/