guix-devel

Re: powerpc64[le]-linux port progress

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: powerpc64[le]-linux port progress
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2020 13:34:25 +0100

dftxbs3e writes:

Hello!

> So here's my current tree:
> https://gitlab.com/lle-bout/guix - master branch
> Bootstrap binaries are uploaded over LFS at:
> https://gitlab.com/lle-bout/guix-bootstrap - master branch
> The current issue is during 'glibc-intermediate' in
> gnu/packages/commencement.scm
> The statically linked gawk binary tries to execute:
> execve("/gnu/store/eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-bash-static-5.0.7/bin/bash",
>  ["sh", "-c", "test -d nptl"], 0x3fffd261ecc0 /* 57 vars */) = -1
> According to Ludovic Courtes, store references with 'eeeeeee' characters in
> them are removed store references.
> So I went and tried to strip the reference to bash and replace it with `sh`
> so that either gawk or any of its dependency can look up `sh` in PATH at
> bootstrap time (we do not know any path yet).

Have you tried building static gawk standalone and check it for that
bash?  You could do something like

   grep -ao '/gnu/store/e*-bash' $(./pre-inst-env guix build -e '(@@ (gnu
packages make-bootstrap) %static-binaries)')

On my x86_64-linux system, I get

   /gnu/store/eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-bash

> In the commit history, you can see I tried to patch glibc and gawk, but that
> does not solve the problem.
> The final gawk binary still contains a reference to bash-static, and I have
> no idea where it comes from.
> Do note that during gawk build process, there's a 'set-shell-filename phase,
> that I removed in gnu/packages/make-bootstrap.scm and instead replace every
> occurrence of /bin/sh with `sh`.
>
> I would appreciate help here.

For the new Scheme-only bootstrap, I solved a similar problem for
%bootstrap-mes by replacing the /gnu/store/eee* store-references with
actual bootstrap file names; see `%bootstrap-mes-rewired' in
core-updates
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/packages/commencement.scm?h=core-updates#n251

HTH,
janneke