guix-devel

Re: Thoughts on making Guix even better

From: Jonathan Frederickson
Subject: Re: Thoughts on making Guix even better
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2020 15:28:34 -0500

On Feb 22, 2020, at 9:49 PM, Raghav Gururajan <address@hidden> wrote:

> The guix system transactions are NON-MODULAR. That is, you cannot selectively
> reconfigure certain parts of the system. For example, you either reconfigure
> the system as a whole (or) you do not reconfigure the system at all.

This is something that also made it a bit difficult to get started writing
services: you can’t work on a service in isolation and enable it on your
current system by itself, which would be nice. I ended up building an
operating-system container with just that service running, which works, but
increases the time taken for each code-test cycle.