guix-devel

Re: branch master updated (0aa0e1f -> 9b7f9e6)

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: branch master updated (0aa0e1f -> 9b7f9e6)
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2020 17:36:15 +0100

Hi Ludo,

On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 at 16:33, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:

> address@hidden skribis:
>
> >      new d7545a6  ui: Only display link in capable terminals.
> >      new 672d3d4  ui: Don't disable colors when INSIDE_EMACS is set.
>
> Forgive me if I missed the discussion, but I thought we had reached
> rough consensus in favor of the status quo.  What happened?

I do not know if we had reached a consensus. :-)

Here [1] is explained the 2 issues. One issue comes from *eshell* and
should be solved upstream, as explained here [2] and has been already
explained by Ricardo there [3]. Upstream bug report is opened, AFAICT,
and merged soon [4].

The other issue is "that the OSC is not always supported and some
terminal emulators are not doing the correct thing. For example EShell
or (incorrectly build) Mate of Trisquel. Therefore, instead of
displaying this special character, just print the full path of the
generation file and the commit url." [5]. And this is not related to
Emacs and/or INSIDE_EMACS but related to the support of the OSC by the
terminal emulator. And the highlighting is another topic.

Well, from my understanding, the question was about the name of this
variable "INSIDE_EMACS" to replace the OSC by the full path and
how/where to document it, see Pierre's message [6] but then Ricardo
answered [7]: "we should not document it in Guix, nor should we rename
it to GUIX_INSIDE_EMACS".

Maybe the misunderstanding comes from there.

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-02/msg00188.html
[2] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-02/msg00199.html
[3] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-02/msg00040.html
[4] https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=39596