guix-devel

Plan for a release!

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Plan for a release!
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2020 22:38:29 +0100

Hi Guix!

I’m going on vacation for a bit, but I think we should finally get that
release out!  Here’s the list of things to do I have in mind:

  • We need Guile 3.0.1 to fix ‘guix pull’ etc. on AArch64 and possibly
    JIT on ARMv7:

      https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/39266
      https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/39208

  • More testing of the guided installer and related issues:

     https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/39729
     https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/39712

  • Fix the weird default font in GNOME Terminal, as sirgazil reported
    on help-guix.

  • Ensure that the desktop environments provided by the installer
    actually work (GNOME, Xfce, MATE, etc.).  It’d be great to have
    automated tests for these!

  • (Optionally) have an automated test that installs the binary tarball
    on Debian or similar.

  • Address as many of the bugs marked “important” or “serious” as
    possible.  Should we organize a bug-squashing week?  :-)

  • We already have “make assert-binaries-available”, but at the Guix
    Days we came up with the idea of having ‘guix weather
    --release-critical’ or similar, which would ensure that all the
    relevant jobs pass (packages, cross-builds, system tests, etc.).
    I’ll see if I can do something in that area.

What’s missing from the list?

I don’t think we’ll wait for the ‘core-updates’ merge, but who knows.

As you see there’s a lot of testing in there, plus the need to keep
things on track!  If someone wants to be the “master of time” and make
sure we don’t enter and endless add-feature/break/fix loop, that’d be
welcome!

Thoughts?

Ludo’.