guix-devel

Re: backdoor injection via release tarballs combined with binary artifac

From: Skyler Ferris
Subject: Re: backdoor injection via release tarballs combined with binary artifacts (was Re: Backdoor in upstream xz-utils)
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 10:26:27 +0000

Hi again,

On 4/12/24 23:50, Giovanni Biscuolo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> general reminder: please remember the specific scope of this (sub)thread

>   Please consider that this (sub)thread is _not_ specific to xz-utils but
>   to the specific attack vector (matrix?) used to inject a backdoor in a
>   binary during a build phase, in a _very_ stealthy way.
>
>   Also, since Guix _is_ downstream, I'd like this (sub)thread to
>   concentrate on what *Guix* can/should do to strenghten the build process
>   /independently/ of what upstreams (or other distributions) can/should
>   do.

> (8734s1mn5p.fsf@xelera.eu/">https://yhetil.org/guix/8734s1mn5p.fsf@xelera.eu/)
>
> ...and if needed read that message again to understand the context,
> please.

I assume that this was an indirect response to the email I sent
previously where I discussed the problems with PGP signatures on release
files. I believe that this was in scope because of the discussion about
whether to use VCS checkouts which lack signatures or release tarballs
which have signatures. If the signatures on the release tarballs are not
providing us with additional confidence then we are not losing anything
by switching to the VCS checkout. Analysis of the effectiveness of what
upstream projects are doing is relevant when trying to determine what we
are capable of doing. I also pointed out that a change to Guix such as
adding signature metadata to packages could help make up for problems
with upstream workflows and how the review process provides additional
confidence, demonstrating how this analysis is relevant to what to
currently/could possibly do. Please let me know if you think that this
is incorrect.

Additionally, I need to correct something that I previously said. I
stated this:

On 4/12/24 17:14, Skyler Ferris wrote:
> even the tails project gets this part of security wrong and they are
> generally diligent in their efforts

Without first double-checking the current state of the project. While
this was true at one point, they have since updated their website and
clearly explain the problem and what their new verification method is
able to protect against at
https://tails.net/contribute/design/download_verification/. I apologize
for disseminating outdated information.