guix-devel

Re: Is git the best tool for pulling packages?

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Is git the best tool for pulling packages?
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 17:11:33 +0200

Adam <adam.quandour@gmail.com> writes:

> As I see, first guix pull running too long for a lot of people.

Note that this is not due to download speeds but often due to
compilation.  When updating Guix you are not just fetching new data, but
a new version of Guix itself (which happens to come with a library
encoding package relationships).  That new version may need to be
compiled locally, which is slow.  We aim to provide pre-built components
that Guix can download instead, but computing what needs to be fetched
in the first place *also* takes a decent amount of time.

The problem would be the same if the transport mechanism was a
compressed archive instead of an update to a git repository.

> Probably there are ways to cache all of this.

We are caching things in ~/.cache/guix.

--
Ricardo