gwl-devel

Re: How to install GWL?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: How to install GWL?
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2020 01:22:56 +0100

Hi Ricardo,

On Wed, 5 Feb 2020 at 20:36, Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> wrote:

> Oh, I didn’t think of inferior number 1 at all, but that’s a good
> point.  We could arrange for the build-time modules of Guix to be made
> available at runtime, independent of the version of Guix used to run
> “guix workflow”.  Then we need to build packages with an inferior Guix,
> which is identical to the Guix used to run “guix workflow”.

Yes something along these lines.
Let restart the discussion after the new release.
I mean, the next release could still use the old mechanism because it
is more about the description language itself than the version of the
packages.

> (guix inferior) does not allow us to do this yet.  The
> gexp->derivation-in-inferior procedure requires a derivation that
> returns some variant of Guix — we can’t just give it the directory name
> of the invoking command.  I think this might be a good addition to (guix
> inferior).

Let open a discussion on guix-devel to collect some ideas. WDYT?

All the best,
simon