Handling getopt for option without optional argument value

From: lisa-asket
Subject: Handling getopt for option without optional argument value
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 21:16:43 +0200 (CEST)

From: Jesse Hathaway <jesse@mbuki-mvuki.org>
To: lisa-asket@perso.be
Date: 23/07/2021 20:19:19 Europe/Paris
Cc: Greg Wooledge <greg@wooledge.org>;
   help-bash@gnu.org

On Fri, Jul 23, 2021 at 12:36 PM <lisa-asket@perso.be> wrote:
> An Gnu has already implemented long options in programs before, how does it
> seem such
>
> insurmountable obstacle asking if people can use long options ?

There are some bash libraries that support long option parsing, some of
them appear pretty robust, though I have not tried them:

https://github.com/ko1nksm/getoptions

Thank you Jesse, I shall seek into it.  I have been using getopt which does
what I would like to do.

Although your link states that it is posix compliant.  Perhaps Chet can find it
useful and suitable

for Gnu Bash to have similar functionality to all users, rather than something
that just works for myself.