Re: Bash-5.2 Release available

From: Corey Hickey
Subject: Re: Bash-5.2 Release available
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2022 09:53:23 -0800

On 2022-11-01 08:56, Chet Ramey wrote:
On 10/31/22 6:00 PM, Corey Hickey wrote:

I was experimenting with this and trying to understand the extent of
code execution within arithmetic evaluation, and what are safe ways to
prevent it, based on:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/627474/how-to-use-associative-arrays-safely-inside-arithmetic-expressions

There was a pretty extensive discussion of the issue, including what I
eventually put into bash-5.2, last March:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-bash/2021-03/msg00056.html

and extending into April:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-bash/2021-04/msg00008.html

The changes are broad.

Thanks. I read through all that and I admit I don't understand all the discussion, but that's ok--I understand that parts that matter to me now.

I see that your fix is now in git, and that tests ok for me as well.

For what I do and understand, the current behavior makes more sense to me than that of bash 5.1 and earlier.

Thanks again,
Corey