Re: Bash command 'reset' in bind -x always fails

From: Greg Wooledge
Subject: Re: Bash command 'reset' in bind -x always fails
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 20:29:16 -0400

On Mon, May 15, 2023 at 07:21:36AM +0700, Budi wrote:
> Why Bash command 'reset' inside bind -x or readline does error, how to
> do code that'd work to reset as normally ?

You need to give more details.  What exactly did you do?

I did this:

unicorn:~$ bash
unicorn:~$ bind -x '"xxx":reset'

Then at the next shell prompt, I typed xxx and the screen was cleared
as expected, and a new shell prompt was produced.

One funny side effect was that after the screen was cleared and the new
shell prompt was displayed, I tried to recall the previous commands (in
order to write this email), and when I pressed ESC k, instead of acting
normally, it displayed ^[k at the shell prompt.

As it turns out, running *any* command (or even just pressing Enter with
an empty command) cleares this up, and ESC k and other command editing
works normally.

So... what problems did *you* experience when you tried whatever it is
that you tried?

And... why isn't Ctrl-L good enough?  What were you trying to achieve
that Ctrl-L doesn't do?