Re: colored verbose

From: Greg Wooledge
Subject: Re: colored verbose
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 09:03:05 -0500

On Wed, Nov 08, 2023 at 02:58:01PM +0100, alex xmb sw ratchev wrote:
> btw for me it ran
> the echo ed foo was first , but then two texted came
> as for two cmds
> then exit .. maybe u have old bash ? :)

When stdout and stderr both go to the terminal and haven't been
messed with, there is a synchronization that happens.  Each line is
written by a single shell process without buffering, and the result
is that things appear in the correct order.

Filtering one or more of these streams through a background process
means you lose that synchronization.  You have two independent processes
which are both writing to the terminal, and they don't wait for each
other.

I showed examples of this in my previous message.  You're seeing the
same thing.