help-emacs-windows

Re: tree-sitter on Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: tree-sitter on Windows
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 18:27:12 +0300

> From: Juan José García-Ripoll
>  <juanjose.garciaripoll@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 17:01:39 +0200
>
> Bare Emacs, 29.1 as downloaded by Scoop
> (treesit-available-p)
> => t
> (treesit-language-available-p 'python t)
> => (nil not-found ("libtree-sitter-python" "libtree-sitter-python.dll")
>        "No such file or directory")
>
> I try then to activate a language mode such as python-ts-mode Warning
> (treesit): Cannot activate tree-sitter, because language grammar for
> python is unavailable (not-found): (libtree-sitter-python
> libtree-sitter-python.dll) No such file or directory

So far, it's expected if you don't have libtree-sitter-python.dll
installed.

> I then try to install using treesit-install-language-grammar and provide
> as C and C++ compiler "/msys64/ucrt64/usr/bin/gcc.exe" It fails with
>
> Warning (treesit): Error encountered when installing language grammar:
> (treesit-error Command: /msys64/ucrt64/bin/gcc.exe -fPIC -c -I. parser.c
> Error output: )

What followed the "Error output:" part?  It is important to understand
whether the error was from the compiler or from some other part of the
installation process.

Also, "/msys64/ucrt64/usr/bin/gcc.exe" is not a full Windows file
name: it lacks the drive letter.  You need to specify the full
absolute file name, including the drive letter.  Or, if gcc.exe is on
PATH, I think you could simply say "gcc".

> Next thing I tried was using treesitter-langs from MELPA. This downloads
> DLLs but they have the wrong name: e.g. python.dll. I tried renaming
> them in-place, but still does not load them. I moved them to
> ~/.emacs.d/tree-sitter, and still does not load. In all cases from d),
> there is no meaningful error message

This seems to indicate those DLLs are incompatible with your Emacs
binary or something.

> The only solution I have been able to find is to rebuild the libraries
> as described in my previous email.

How is that different from what treesit-install-language-grammar does?