help-gawk

Re: gawk for a-Shell (on iPadOS)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: gawk for a-Shell (on iPadOS)
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2023 21:22:34 +0300

[Please always CC the mailing list on your responses.]

> From: Peter Vernam <pvernam@alum.mit.edu>
> Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2023 13:28:18 -0400
>
> >  That's okay, but then why did you start by talking about the GCC vs Clang
> > problem?
>
> Because, until I can see a Makefile (or a README.xxx specific to a-Shell), I
> can't tell which compiler
> name will be referenced.

I don't think this should bother you, since Makefile uses $(CC), and
you can always invoke "make CC=<whatever>".

> > If you don't have a Unixy shell, the configure script will not work.
> > You need either to find a shell for the iPhone (no idea if such a  beast
> > exists), or cross-build Gawk on
> a Unix system.
>
> a-Shell *IS* a Unixy shell for the iPad (or iPhone) -- as far as I
> know it is the only one.

If so, then all you need is to say

  CONFIG_SHELL=a-Shell ./configure

and that should work.

> > Maybe you haven't installed the headers and the Standard C library to go
> > with Clang?
>
> I haven't installed anything.  Clang came pre-installed with a-Shell, and
> there is no package manager
> to install anything else.  There are 156 .h header files in clang's include
> directory, and setjmp.h is not
> among them.

So this Clang installation doesn't support the Standard C setjmp
function?  If so, you'd need to hack it out of the sources, e.g. by
defining it as a no-op.  It is not used for anything very important in
Gawk.

> > Why are you saying this?  I never called you idiot. not even hinted on
> > anything like that.
>
> I apologize, but it seemed like you were throwing out very simple solutions
> (like "Try
> README_d/README.macosx instead.")  I don't think that there's any way you can
> help me without
> actually trying to run some of the necessary commands on a-Shell on iPadOS.
> Perhaps what I want to
> do is impossible, since iPadOS (and iOS) is not at all like macOS (for
> instance, every app runs in its
> own container, so file access between apps is cumbersome).

If you'd rather I keep silent because I cannot try this myself, just
say so.  I thought that by giving you some ideas I could help at least
some, seeing as no one else seems to chime in.