Re: 26.3, 28; Set Default Font... CMU Typewriter Text

From: VanL
Subject: Re: 26.3, 28; Set Default Font... CMU Typewriter Text
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2020 21:32:43 +1100

>> (custom-set-faces
>>  '(default ((t (:background "gainsboro" :foreground "black" :height
>> 201 :family "CMU Typewriter Text" :foundry "nil" :slant normal
>> :weight light :width normal))))...
>
> With this, I see no reason for you to mess with Emacs.FontBackend in
> .Xdefaults.  (However, I suggest to use :font in the customization
> instead of relying on :family.)

That :family keyword in that line is controlled by the M-x customize
interface inserting to the Emacs's initial configuration setup
file... well, anyway, I had hoped to learn something about the UTF-8 and
Unicode by messing with Emacs.FontBackend in .Xdefaults.  But it wasn't
the original driving intent.  I only wanted to get a better looking font
and not the particularly ugly default in scarey quote in emacs-28 build
2020-01-05.

  plan9port/font/sample
  from http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/utf8.html

That file sampling various languages displays relatively immediately.
Like under 2.0 seconds.  I don't experience the delay like waiting for 4Gb
to transfer before a file with multiple languages displays.

--
OK.  I got a good idea.  Who is the fastest will win.  Boeing.  SpaceX.  Go...