RE: No Help Window from *Packages* - No Package Specified Error

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: No Help Window from *Packages* - No Package Specified Error
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2020 11:36:21 -0800 (PST)

> > When I run emacs with init.el and then invoke list-packages, the help
> > window does not show for a package, regardless of mouse click or using
> > keystroke "?"

Did you mean only that a particular package is not listed?

Or did you mean that if you use a particular package the help window (buffer
`*Packages*') is not shown?

> > This is not a problem when I start emacs with -q.
> > I'm loading a lot of stuff in init.el, so I would welcome any ideas as
> > to what I have 'require'd or configured.
>
> After much tinkering, I have found that the following code in init.el
> (require 'dired+)
> Disables the information component of list-pack

Again, same question as above.

If you mean only that Dired+ is not listed, then
I understand: It's not available in an ELPA repo;
it's available from Emacs Wiki.

But if you mean that requiring Dired+ prevents
`list-packages' from displaying, then I don't
see that.  I use Dired+, and `list-packages'
works for me.

Or maybe there's more to the problem than just
that `list-packages' doesn't display `*Packages*'?

A priori, I don't think dired+.el should have
any effect on `list-packages'.