Re: Microsoft Excel spreadsheet editing directly from within emacs.

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Microsoft Excel spreadsheet editing directly from within emacs.
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2021 09:05:57 +0300

* Bob Newell <bobnewell@bobnewell.net> [2020-12-30 19:57]:

> andres.ramirez <rrandresf@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Emacs has an spreadsheet mode builtin:
> >
> > (info "(ses) Quick Tutorial")
> >
> > ses-mode could be embedded within an 'org source code block'.
> >
> > Perhaps someone has a tool for converting ms-spreadsheet files to
> > ses-mode.
>
> Aloha everyone,
>
> I've used SES in the past with good results. I've found it
> easier to use than org-mode spreadsheets, although that said,
> I often do go with org-mode just to keep things in one file,
> and within the org-mode ecosystem.

Just to mention, SES mode is fine for smaller values, when it starts
becoming big, it slows down very much, including for empty cells, and
if it is doing something in background and I interrupt it with C-g,
the file gets corrupted.

In general it is good for simpler purposes, not for serious data handling.

Jean