package-installed-p issue.

From: Ergus
Subject: package-installed-p issue.
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2021 03:47:56 +0100

Hi I'm trying to simplify some of my code in the init file and
something like:

(package-installed-p 'use-package)

Triggers an error so I need to do something like:

(unless (fboundp 'package-installed-p)
    (require 'package))

(unless (package-installed-p 'use-package)
)

My question is: Shouldn't package-installed-p be an autoload?

Is there a reason why it is not an autoload?

Some time ago package-installed-p was loaded when calling package-initialize
but now such call is not required anymore. So what's the right way?

Thanks in advance,
Ergus