Emacs Secret Service integration and KeePassXC issues

From: Liam Hupfer
Subject: Emacs Secret Service integration and KeePassXC issues
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2021 18:10:51 -0600

Hi Michael,

Thank you for integrating the Secret Servace API into Emacs; I've found
it very useful recently. KeePassXC, a popular FOSS cross-platform
password manager I use, recently merged the functionality to act as the
secrets provider as Linux (like Gnome Keyring or Kwallet). I'm trying to
use it with Emacs and having some issues. I asked about them in a
KeePassXC GitHub issue[1], and the implementer suggested Gnome
Keyring-isms might be an issue and that KeePassXC implements the full
spec.

Unfortunately, I know little about the Secret Service spec or Emacs'
implementation beyond basic usage, and I'm not sure how I'd begin to
debug this. I was wondering if you are capable of trying KeePassXC as
the secrets provider with Emacs? Specifically (as I mentioned in the
GitHub comment), I can't do things that write to the secrets collection,
like creating a secret with secrets-create-item. This means that when
TRAMP or Eshell prompts me to save a password to my secrets collection,
it silently fails to create the secret.

I emailed you directly because it seems you fully implemented the secret
service integration, but I CC'd help-gnu-emacs in case anyone else runs
into this issue or has information I'm missing. Thanks for the
implementation and any info you can provide!

Liam

PS: I'm new to mailing lists, so please let me know if I've committed
any faux pas here.

1:
https://github.com/keepassxreboot/keepassxc/issues/3667#issuecomment-754380102