Re: Indentation with spaces

From: goncholden
Subject: Re: Indentation with spaces
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2022 18:43:42 +0000

------- Original Message -------
On Friday, June 10th, 2022 at 10:29 PM, Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org>
wrote:

> goncholden wrote:
>
> > Python is garbage as far as I am concerned.
>

> It doesn't look or feel cool like Lisp but development is
> super-fast. I think an experienced Lisp programmer writes the
> typical program in slightly more time than a Python
> novice does.
>
> It's the langauge itself, but also all the resources on the
> web and everywhere else including source, Q&As, books, you
> name it ... because of its popularity.
>
> I think for these and other reasons it's better than shell
> scripts (it's interactive, or can be) and it's much less of
> a learning curve (and again faster development) compared to
> Perl and other comparable languages for comparable
> applications and use cases that I know of.
>
> Lisp is cooler, looks better and might be more powerful in
> terms of the language's expressiveness, other than those things
> (which are important, no doubt) I think Python would win most
> other Progralympic disciplines vs Lisp ... TBH!
>
> > The designers thought it would be neat to give semantic
> > meaning to whitespace. Why on earth would they give semantic
> > meaning to something that cannot be seen? Who thought that
> > was a good idea?
>

> It makes the code uniform from person to person in a way that
> makes sense (in one particular "sense", the enforced one, but
> still) - there are advantages with this both reading, writing
> and understanding - advantages related not the least to what
> I just mentioned, Python's one killer advantage, the
> development speed.
>
> Trust me, I wrote a Python bot which is employed as we speak
> working well and not crashing, and I did this very fast
> knowing nothing about Python and even less about IRC. It just
> happens with Python ... somehow.

Have coded in Python as well.  But as it has became mainstream, it has the
tendency that its design becomes prescriptive to many.

I do not agree that "Simple is better than Complex".  The design concept should
be "there is more than one way to do it", rather than Python's "there should be
only one way to do it".

For relatively simple tasks with quick solution, some python should do, but I
avoid it.