Re: API to control the GTK parts from Elisp

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: API to control the GTK parts from Elisp
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 09:47:20 +0800

Sébastien Gendre <seb@k-7.ch> writes:

> Hello world!
>
> On GNU/Linux, the GUI version use GTK for some parts, like the
> header-bar, the tool-box, etc.
>
> Is it possible to control these GTK elements from Elisp ? Like modifying
> their CSS rules or the GTK theme applied ?
>

> Best regards

Such features aren't available in Emacs Lisp.

In general, we are seeking to reduce our dependence on things like GTK,
whose developers are zealously hostile to some of Emacs's requirements.
So I don't anticipate their introduction in the immediate future either.

If you build Emacs with some other X toolkit, the aesthetics of the menu
and tool bars can be modified by means of the `tool-bar' and `menu-bar'
faces.