Re: UTF-8 characters in comments of a program

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: UTF-8 characters in comments of a program
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 07:51:28 +0200

Eric S Fraga wrote:

>> I'm sure modern programming languages that are designed and
>> implemented today can support them, but what is the
>> gain, really?
>
> The gain can be an increase in readability. For instance,
> being able to use δx or ΔT as variables (e.g. in Julia)
> instead of delta_x, delta_T or similar.
> Mathematical expressions become more like the actual
> mathematics. Julia, in particular, actually uses unicode
> characters for some of the operations, such as
>
> for i ϵ 1:10
>
> although you can still write
>
> for i in 1:10
>
> if you need to.
>
> And you might be able to imagine being able to define
> operators such as · and × for vector arithmetic.
>
> Etc. US-ASCII is very limiting for expression.

To me "for i in {1..10}" is as easy or easier to read and much
faster to type.

But if you grew up reading and writing code that supported and
relied upon math and scientific notation in practical
programming maybe you would like it better, it is possible.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal