help: how to load existing file after upgrading to Emacs 29.1 from 28.3,

From: Globe Trotter
Subject: help: how to load existing file after upgrading to Emacs 29.1 from 28.3, or save it without prompt
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2023 15:30:39 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

I am a long-term emacs user (for 31 years) but I have a strange problem since
my recent upgrade to 29.1 (as part of my Fedora distribution upgrade from 38 to
39).

I try:

$ emacs test.txt

And I get a window that simply loads the following:

https://i.stack.imgur.com/ecDDL.png

OK, that is unusual, so let me add a few lines of text and try and save, having
done this for over 31 years.

I type, hit Ctrl-x and am asked where to save it:

https://i.stack.imgur.com/Drihj.png

Which file to save in? That is odd, why? Anyway, I type again "test.txt" and am
told that the file is saved (and it is). Fine.

Then I hit Ctrl-Q and exit but am asked:

https://i.stack.imgur.com/DBuU1.png

No idea what this is about, but OK, "no". ("yes" does not change the outcome).

The file is saved and exists:

https://i.stack.imgur.com/sgAY0.png

OK, let us load this file again, with

emacs test.txt

I get a new "scratch" file loaded (same screenshot as the first one above).
What happened to my created file (that still exists)?

I am not sure how to load a file, or save it. How do I get back the old
behavior?

Thanks a lot for any help and suggestions!

Happy to provide more information.

Many thanks and best wishes,
GT