Remapping Windows key combinations to ctrl keybindings

From: Jon Eskin
Subject: Remapping Windows key combinations to ctrl keybindings
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 07:47:16 -0500

On windows 10, I used to prevent the lwindow key from triggering its
default behavior and remap it to ctrl with the following:

(setq w32-pass-lwindow-to-system nil)
(setq l-window-modifier 'ctrl)

In windows 11, this approach is problematic as noted in the variable
documentation for w32-pass-lwindow-to-system, which notes that
combinations such as <lwindow>-r trigger the run dialog, even when the
variable is set.

I've found that if I set the following:

(setq w32-lwindow-modifier 'super)
(w32-register-hot-key [s-r])
(w32-register-hot-key [s-a])

It will prevent the key combinations assigned to <lwindow>-r and
<lwindow>-a from occuring, and instead assign them to whatever is bound
to the s-r and s-a keybindings.

However, I'm trying to assign them to the control keybindings, but the
following doesn't work like I hoped:

(setq w32-lwindow-modifier 'ctrl)
(w32-register-hot-key [C-r])
(w32-register-hot-key [C-a])

Is there any way to disable these key combinations and use the control
keybindings?