Re: url-retrieve and encoding

From: tomas
Subject: Re: url-retrieve and encoding
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2024 18:49:25 +0100

On Sat, Feb 10, 2024 at 08:49:08PM +0100, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 10, 2024 at 09:41:15PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

[...]

> > Yes: decode-coding-region.
>
> Ahhh -- thanks a bunch for this one! How could I have missed it.
>
> > > (...) But that feels
> > > a bit... gross:
> >
> > Indeed.  Why didn't you try decoding to begin with?

OK, now I can answer this question more precisely: actually, I'd
been there already and was coufused that the function did... nothing.

Now at least I know why: the buffer is unibyte. Its content /is/
utf-8. So if I set the last argument to nil (i.e. decode-in-place),
it replaces region with its utf8 byte sequences -- an identity
operation (unless there is erroneous UTF-8 around). If I give
it a multibyte buffer as last argument things look much better.

But then... I can do things "in buffer" by simply invoking
(toggle-enable-multibyte-characters t). At least, it seems to
work. But... is it a good idea?

Cheers & thanks
--
tomás