Emacs-desktop insists on having 13-pixel scrollbars at startup

From: PierGianLuca
Subject: Emacs-desktop insists on having 13-pixel scrollbars at startup
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 14:31:12 +0200

Hi everyone.

Setup:

– Emacs 29.3 compiled on Ubuntu 20.04 from tarball, with options

./configure --with-native-compilation --with-json
--enable-link-time-optimization --with-x-toolkit=gtk --with-xwidgets
--without-toolkit-scroll-bars

– KDE Plasma desktop

– *No* window rules set for Emacs on KDE desktop

– *No* frame-geometry rules given to Emacs at startup in the emacs.desktop and
emacsclient.desktop files

– early-init.el is empty

– default-frame-alist set, via customize, to:

 '(default-frame-alist
   '((horizontal-scroll-bars)
     (width . 87)
     (height . 80)
     (left . 1257)
     (top . 0)))

With this setup, Emacs starts with vertical scrollbars that are 13 pixels wide.
If I create new frames with C-x 5 2 ('make-frame-command'), they also have
13-pixel-wide scrollbars.

I would like to change the scroll-bar width, adding 6 pixels. So I modify:

– early-init.el:

(setq-default scroll-bar-width 19)
(add-to-list 'initial-frame-alist '(scroll-bar-width . 19))

– default-frame-alist set, via customize, to:

 '(default-frame-alist
   '((horizontal-scroll-bars)
     (scroll-bar-width . 19)
     (width . 87)
     (height . 80)
     (left . 1257)
     (top . 0)))

What happens is that when I start Emacs, the *first* frames that appear have
13-pixels scrollbars. But any new frames that I create with
'make-frame-command' do have the requested 19-pixell scrollbars.

I discovered that this happens when Emacs-desktop is active. Emacs-desktop
remembers the final frame geometry of all opened frames from one session to the
next. Except that it always uses 13-pixel scrollbars for the restored frames
when starting a new session. Frames created afterwards do have the correct
scrollbar width – but they also will be reset to 13 pixels if Emacs is closed
and started again.

If Emacs-desktop is disabled, Emacs starts with a frame having the required
scrollbar width.

Is this a bug in Emacs Desktop, or am I missing or misunderstanding how it
should work? I'm happy to share any other information you need.

Cheers!
Luca