help-gnu-utils

(no subject)

From: Jignesh Shah
Subject: (no subject)
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 08:59:45 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

I am using an older version of tar to compress a file
and then I try to untar it on a machine where I use
GNU tar version 1.12 and it fails to untar it... what
is the solution?? If I tar it using GNU tar version
1.12 and then try to untar in on boxes where I use
older version will it work?? I have to do that as I
will be untaring the tar file on lots of machine and
they will be using older versions of tar as well as
the new ones.

Thanks,
Jignesh Shah