help-gnu-utils

relocation

From: Shane Stevens
Subject: relocation
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 14:31:08 +1100

Hi all,
I am attempting to write a tool which takes the final output from ld and
extracts out just the data I need with the relocation information.  It’s for
data assembly, not code.  I am going to write a small relocation class which
can be used on any sku to relocate the data I’ve extracted.

I thought what I could try would be to examine dlopen() to see how it opens
an elf, reads the format and then finally relocates it, however there is SO
much code it’s rather difficult to work out what’s going on.

Is there documentation regarding how dlopen() works, or perhaps how the ELF
is structured and how relocations occur.

Shane