help-gnu-utils

Re: objcopy - Invalid operation

From: James
Subject: Re: objcopy - Invalid operation
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 14:44:10 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Nick, thank you much for your response...

--- Nick Clifton <nickc@redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> > I posted the enclosed message yesterday and
> haven't received response from anyone as yet.
>
> Please be patient.  The people who answer questions
> on this list are all volunteers who have other,
> important, work to do as well.

Sorry didn't mean to be impatient. Just trying to find
out if this is the right list.

> > If this is not the appropriate group then can
> anyone recommend one?
>
> This is the correct list.
>
> > I am currently using objcopy version 2.13.90
>
> In general it is always a good idea to make sure
> that you are using the latest release before
> reporting problems.  In the case of binutils
> this is 2.14 (or if you prefer using HJ's versions:
> 2.14.90.0.6).

Tried to compile the latest 2.14 version and receiving
the following message:

% ./configure --prefix=mydir
creating cache ./config.cache
checking host system type... powerpc-apple-darwin6.8
checking target system type... powerpc-apple-darwin6.8
checking build system type... powerpc-apple-darwin6.8
*** This configuration is not supported in the
following subdirectories:
     bfd binutils ld gas opcodes gprof
    (Any other directories should still work fine.)
<snip>

Then executing "make" does not build objcopy.

> >> I am trying to rename a symbol in an object file
> called
> >> "error_msg.o" and following is its information:
> >>
> >> % objdump -t error_msg.o
> >>
> >> error_msg.o:     file format mach-o-be
> >> 00000000000000fc g       *UND* _error_message
>
> >> The error messages that I receive are as follows:
> >>
> >> % objcopy --redefine-sym
> >> _error_message=_au_error_message error_msg.o
> >> objcopy: error_msg.o: Invalid operation
>
> >> Any suggestions on how to resolve this problem?
>
> It may well be a bug in the bfd library.  if you can
> provide a test case (ie the error_msg.o file) we can
> try to investigate.

I have attached the error_msg.o file.

> For what it is worth this kind of renaming should be
> possible.  It certainly does work for a simple test
> case using the i686-pc-linux-gnu target and the
> current binutils sources from the CVS repository.
>
> Cheers
>         Nick

Thanks for any help!

James