help-gnu-utils

GNU gettext and incorrectly-marked "obsolete" entries

From: Kevin L
Subject: GNU gettext and incorrectly-marked "obsolete" entries
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 17:17:08 GMT

I've got code that looks like this (pseudo):

char message_array[][] {
        "KEY_1",
        "KEY_2",
        "KEY_3",
}

I'm using gettext to turn KEY_1 into a translated string:

        char * key = message_array[2];
        char * output_string = _(key);

Very similar to a Java ResourceBundle. Worked great until today when I "up"graded to gettext 0.14.1.

With the new suite of tools: autoconf 2.59, automake 1.7.9, gettext 0.14.1, the new build process marks the translations for KEY_1, KEY_2, etc. as "obsolete". Right now my application is horribly broken without these translated strings appearing in the output.

Digging into the docs for msgmerge, I can't see any way to force msgmerge NOT to do this.

The very reason I'm using these obvious keys is so that I can quickly tell how much has been translated. I WAS going to replace the keys with the default English strings before I got to 1.0, but if I can't find a way to get msgmerge to include these strings that aren't directly used then my users will be stuck with English-only strings in some very important parts of the application. That's a can of worms I really don't want to open.

Is there a hopefully trivial way to get the old behavior back? Or should I edit and recompile msgmerge without the "obsolete" string marking?