help-gnu-utils

Re: texi2text ?

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: texi2text ?
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 17:25:23 -0400

      cvs.texinfo:740: warning: Info cannot handle `:' in index entry
      `:local:, setting up'.

Info format has had this limitation (among others) since day 1 -- no :'s
in index entries (or node names).  The Info readers will misparse them.
Thus, makeinfo warned (at one point).  Assuming you just want to use the
output and aren't fixing the manual, just ignore them.  Use --no-warn if
you don't want to see them.

FWIW, I don't get any such warnings running the cvs.texinfo from cvs
1.12.6 through makeinfo 4.7.  I released that a couple weeks ago.  My
memory is that such incorrect entries were so widespread, it caused more
trouble than it solved.  Someday we will fix the Info format.

Best,
karl

BTW, both your fake address and the real address after following the
instructions in your signature bounced for me ...