help-gnu-utils

How to do "cp -sR" without "can make relative symbolic links..." errors

From: Fred Phase
Subject: How to do "cp -sR" without "can make relative symbolic links..." errors
Date: 23 Aug 2004 03:51:18 -0700

I want to copy a directory tree but the target tree should consist
only of symlinks to the source tree (with the exception of
directories).

It's basically to create a new instance of a PHP application.

It seems to me that "cp -sR <sourcedir> <targetdir>" should work but
in practive I get loads of "can make relative symbolic links only in
current directory" errors.

So it seems the -s switch doesn't really work with the -R switch.

Is there any way to get around this limitation?

HOLD ON! Just found out I can make it work if I type the _full_ path
name for the source directory. i.e. "cp -sR </full/path/to/sourcedir>
targetdir

Just posting this in case anyone else ever gets stuck on this like I
just did. I couldn't find any other post on this in Google.