help-gnu-utils

Re: gmake: how to avoid $$@ usage?

From: Ernest
Subject: Re: gmake: how to avoid $$@ usage?
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 09:21:45 -0600

"Paul D. Smith" <psmith@gnu.org> wrote in
vpdrhdjtr75u.fsf@lemming.engeast.baynetworks.com:">news:vpdrhdjtr75u.fsf@lemming.engeast.baynetworks.com:

> No, I guess I wasn't clear: my comment meant you'd have to run make
> twice; the first time with a target that build the included makefiles,

Yep, I understood that.  The creation of the makefiles, however, must be
completely invisible to the user.  So their first invocation of make *will*
be the build invocation.  I cannot force them to do the generation step.

> I guess if you don't mind the performance impact of invoking a shell
> script to rebuild every makefile every time you invoke the build,

I would have to rebuild the generated makefiles every time anyway (no way
to predict when they need to be updated).  The only performance issue I
really need to address is reducing the multiple echo commands into a single
command that dumps them all out at once for that dir/session.  I wish
GNU/clearmake had a function to do it (like $(error) and $(warning)), which
would save me the cost of using $(shell).

And since there are ordinarily a large number of directories in our users'
source trees, I'd rather incur the cost of a simple text-output command
than another invocation of make.  8^)

Thanks,
Ernest