help-gnu-utils

RH 9 & glibc 2.2: Undefined reference to `__ctype_b'

From: jgowland@genacapwarecom
Subject: RH 9 & glibc 2.2: Undefined reference to `__ctype_b'
Date: 6 Jul 2005 21:50:12 -0700

I have a static library from a third party which I need to use in an
application, and I need to build it on a system running Red Hat 9.  It
links fine on older versions of Red Hat (e.g. 7.3), but when I try to
link it on RH 9, I get:

    undefined reference to `__ctype_b'

"nm -g /lib/libc.so.6" shows this symbol as

    00133d58 D __ctype_b@GLIBC_2.0

I don't have access to the source code for the third party library, and
I can't
ask the author to recompile it under a later version of Red Hat Linux.
Is there any way I can tell ld that I want the LIBC_2.0 version of the
symbol even if it isn't the latest version?

--
Jonathan Gowland
GenaWare

[Remove headgear from address to reply directly.]