help-gnu-utils

Re: gmake troubles under Win XP -- opening shells instead of executing c

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: gmake troubles under Win XP -- opening shells instead of executing commands
Date: 25 Jul 2005 02:45:41 -0400

%% Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> writes:

  sb> I downloaded a port -- from Cygwin I suppose, though my notes don't
  sb> show it.

Ah!  Cygwin.

Please be aware that Cygwin publishes a modified version of GNU make;
they take the FSF version and apply Cygwin specific patches.  I'm not
familiar with all the things those patches do.

If your version of GNU make is really the Cygwin-provided version I
suggest you contact folks on the Cygwin mailing lists to ask about the
problems you're seeing.

For example, I'm pretty sure that the Cygwin GNU make does NOT want to
work with COMMAND.COM or CMD.EXE.  It wants to work with the Cygwin port
of the UNIX shell (sh).

If you don't want to work in a Cygwin environment then you might want to
go get the vanilla version of GNU make from the FSF site and use that
instead.

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@gnu.org>          Find some GNU make tips at: