help-gnu-utils

Re: gmake include makefile question

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: gmake include makefile question
Date: 17 Mar 2006 09:59:13 -0500

%% "CPA Study Group" <maha.murali@gmail.com> writes:

  csg> I am having a problem wiht including autogenerated makefiles. The
  csg> makefile is along the following lines:

  csg> MAKEFLAGS = -r
  csg> Makefile.Depend:
  csg> <tab>gendepend.sh
  csg> -include Makefile.Depend
  csg> include Makefile.other
  csg> file1.o: file1.F90
  csg> <tab>f90 -c file1.F90
  csg> file2.o: file2.F90
  csg> <tab>f90 -c file1.F90

  csg> When I run gmake for the first time, it generates the
  csg> "Makefile.Depend" but does not process it, hence I get an error
  csg> when "f90 -c file1.F90" is being executed, since file2.o does not
  csg> exist.

That's how make works always, by default.

If that's not what's happening then there's something else wrong here
that we can't see based on your makefile.  You could try removing the
"-" from the "-include" and see if that makes any difference.

You can try using "make -d" and looking at the debug output.  You should
see make run the gendepend.sh file to generate Makefile.Depend, then you
should see it restart and read the file.

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@gnu.org>          Find some GNU make tips at: