help-gnu-utils

Tar and tape drive.

From: Arnaud BARIER
Subject: Tar and tape drive.
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 14:22:24 +0100

 Hello all,

Here is an issue I have in one of my software ... I hope someone can help me
;-)

My software is writing a stream of data on a tape drive in Tar format, but
as I don't know, before the end of transfer, the file size, the file size I
am writing in the tar header is a fake one (the largest possible).
So when I am retriving the tar file from tape, tar returns a warning like
« unexpected EOF »
and the file retrieved has not the same size than the original one (and ends
with a lot of 0x00).

I would like to find a solution to retrieve exaclty the same file than the
original one (in size) and keep compatibility with Gnu Tar format.

Any idea ???

Regards, Arnaud.