help-gnu-utils

gprof disagrees with time

From: Nicholas R. Markham
Subject: gprof disagrees with time
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 13:49:40 -0500

I'm using gprof to optimize some software I've written and I'm seeing something strange happen. When I use time to measure the the running time of the program, I get about 6.4 seconds, yet gprof claims the total is only 2.0 seconds. For comparison purposes, I compiled the same program without the -pg flag, and the running time was about 5.7 seconds.

Am I misunderstanding what gprof is reporting? Shouldn't the total of the times spent in each function be roughly the running time of the program?

Insight appreciated.