help-gnu-utils

Re: echo bug?

From: Randy Yates
Subject: Re: echo bug?
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 23:46:52 -0500

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org> wrote:
>> prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:
>>> Without knowing what "doesn't work" is supposed to mean,
>>
>> Oh, I think it's pretty clear to anyone with a reasonable intellect.
>
> That's not a good way to encourage people to help you.

Asking for help does not give permission to denigrate.

> A good way to
> get help is to show people what they would see if they were looking
> over shoulder: copy and paste exactly what you did and exactly what the
> results were, and then show what you expected to get instead.  You may
> find it tedious, but it's very effective for getting answers.

It is more likely to get a proper answer, but I took my chances as I
thought the likelihood of being correctly understood was quite high
(with people of reaosnable intellect).

> Anyone with a reasonable intellect would have read the documentation
> before posting, and wouldn't have to ask that question.

Again another error in your judgement. Without knowing where to look,
the search space is enormous.

Oh, and stop sending me direct emails.
--
%  Randy Yates                  % "And all that I can do
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %  is say I'm sorry,