help-gnu-utils

Re: Empty Files using diff

From: Henrik Carlqvist
Subject: Re: Empty Files using diff
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 22:37:36 +0200

James Kosin <jkosin@beta.intcomgrp.com> wrote:
> Example:
> --------
> perl-5.10.x/.... /.Zork.pm ( is an empty file that has been newly
> created with a size of 0-bytes)
> perl-5.10.0/.... does not contain the file or the new directory where
> the file is in perl-5.10.x

So you are comparing a non-existant file with an empty file in different
directory structures...

> If you do a 'diff -aNurp perl-5.10.0 perl-5.10.x', you don't get the
> newly created directory or file that has been created.

Thats exactly what the switch -N above is supposed to give, from the man
page:

       -N
       --new-file
              In directory comparison, if a file is found in only
              one directory, treat it as present but empty in the
              other directory.

If you don't want that behavior, you might get a better result without the
-N switch.

regards Henrik
root@localhost postmaster@localhost