help-gnu-utils

Re: Re-entrancy in Make

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Re-entrancy in Make
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 10:29:47 -0600

Peter Flynn wrote:
> Is there a way for Make to know whether (for example) a particular
> file's *content* has changed since the last time LaTeX was run? as
> opposed to merely its timestamp.

This would be a great question for help-make@gnu.org where the make
experts hang out.  I know I have seen this question asked there before
too but I don't recall and can't find an example at this moment.

Sidestepping that for a moment you might find these two references
useful:

http://www.cmcrossroads.com/ask-mr-make/6795-rebuilding-when-a-files-checksum-changes

But perhaps this more directly useful:

  http://www.phys.psu.edu/~collins/software/latexmk-jcc/

Note that I am not using either of those methods at the moment and so
don't have direct first hand experience.

Bob