help-gnubatch

Re: [help-gnubatch] Arbitrary name length limits?

From: John Collins (Xi Software Ltd)
Subject: Re: [help-gnubatch] Arbitrary name length limits?
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 18:27:40 +0000

On 20/01/12 16:36, Wechsler, Steven wrote:

We’ve already discussed hostname lengths.  Apparently variable names are limited 19 characters, and job titles to 13. Are there any other name length restrictions? Any plans to increase them? Is it something that could be configured at compile time?

Thanks!

Yes I'm intending to up variable names to 63 characters. But there is no 13 character limit on job titles - where did you get that from?

Actually you can do that now if you want but please be consistent with multiple network versions or funny things will happen! Note that you have to make it so that the boundaries of things are consistent across multiple platforms. (I'm shifting to using XML for sending and saving stuff in the new version which makes saved job files and such easier to debug).

I'm also getting rid of the set-user stuff which GTK barfs at and some Ubuntu distros can get upset about.

In addition the new version has a job hierarchy with "super-jobs" each holding a list of jobs as at present - and this can be to any depth.

At each level there is a distinct namespace for variables to live in. However you can refer to variables at different levels going up and down and across (subject to permissions).

The other big change is that conditions and assignments are moved to a separate structure, all limits are taken off numbers of those and you can combine them with "OR" and "NOT" as well as "AND" and also move bits off into standard labelled bits and refer to those with overrides.

So you might define a predigested condition "WORKING_HOURS" as "0900 to 1700 AND NOT 1230 to 1330" to save spelling it out with each job, but in some cases add on an extra bit to say "as per WORKING_HOURS but on Fridays replace the first time with 0830 to 1630".

Just putting through some mods on the existing version for the improved hosts file stuff please watch this space....

--
John Collins address@hidden Xi Software Ltd www.xisl.com

Phone: +44 (0)1707 886110 Home Phone: +44 (0)1707 883174
Mobile: +44 (0)7958 387247 (address@hidden)

Trading Address 3 Mandeville Rise, Welwyn Garden City, Herts, AL8 7JT, UK

Registered in England Company Number 01977148 VAT GB 403 9239 64 R/O: 2 Mill Road, Haverhill, Suffolk, CB9 8BD